Friday, June 6, 2008

Handicapped designated areas

So being the idiot that i am, i volunteered to be an usher at the 2008 graduation ceremony. I am in NHS so we have that option, my friend volunteered, and being the follower that i am i volunteered to, not knowing what was too come! We get to the gym where the ceremony is held and the school is blasting the air conditioning to the point that i swallowed my gum because i was shaking! I still feel it in my esophagus! We get there and my job they told me was to check the handicap tickets and to make sure unhandicapped people didn't sit in the handicapped designated areas. At first it was easy, people slowly trickled in and only one woman with a wheechair showed up and she had a stamp on her ticket, which means she can sit in the handicapped area, as if she could climb the stairs anyway. Then a couple walks in and immediately sit in the handicapped zone, i quickly walked over to do a ticket check, very politely i might add. Lo and behold they don't have the magic stamp! I told them that they would have to move because they weren't "handicapped." The mean old guy immediately pulls out a DMV card that says that he is legally handicapped and tells me thathe and his wife are handicapped and need to sit there. I tell them that their inconsiderate graduate should have taken that into account when he ordered their tickets. The guy promptly starts shoving his magic DMV card in my face and starts yelling. I, usually shy and meak, immediately start raising my voice telling him that i didn't make the rules, i just enforce them, which is funny because i am like 5'3'' and a light weight, i'm not enforcing anything in these people's minds! Then my supervisor comes over and backs me up and makes them move! The "handicapped" guy starts to stomp up the stairs and his wife flashed me dirty looks all night, then our principle starts talking, and then commenced the most generic graduation ever! None of the seniors even snuck anything in, no beach balls or whoopi cushions, nothing! I was shocked! But the night wasn't a total bust, i came home and ate my weight in nachos because i had burned off so many calories trying to stay warm while secretly trying to cudddle up to my friend to steal away some of her body heat. The stupid thing is that i shaved before going and then got goosebumps, why did i even bother?

1 comment:

Molly said...

Go Lizzy! You tell those mean old handicapped people! I could really go for some nachos right now. Don't yell at me for eating them in bed without a special ticket.